Creating a World-Class Event
They say it takes a village to produce an artistic or cultural event. We say it takes Salmon Arm. Without our community, ROOTSandBLUES would not be possible. To give back to the community that sustains us, we are dedicated to paying it forward and supporting local youth, artists, and artisans.
We, the Salmon Arm Folk Music Society’s board of directors and staff, were devastated by the discovery of the 215 children of the Tk’emlúps te Secwépemc and other discoveries across Canada.
Our support and kindness is with our Secwépemc neighbours and all Indigenous Nations impacted by this unspeakable tragedy that touches the heart of everyone.
We encourage everyone to learn the history of residential schools and educate ourselves and our families on the lasting impact these schools have on Indigenous peoples and all Canadians.
May we all see this crisis through understanding eyes and open hearts.
Show your support and honour the lives of the young ones taken too soon by wearing orange shirts, ribbons, and encouraging healing and reconciliation within our community and beyond.
Our hearts are with the 215 children of the Tk’emlúps te Secwépemc and their families.
Talented dancer awarded Salmon Arm Folk Music Society Fine Arts Development Scholarship
Ever since she was in Grade 6, Taliah Bellmann dreamed of studying at George Brown College and performing in Ballet Jörgen.
A graduate of Pleasant Valley Secondary School in Armstrong, Bellmann, 18, is the recipient of the 2022 Salmon Arm Folk Music Society Fine Arts Development Scholarship.
“We congratulate Taliah for the dedication, commitment and passion she brings to her craft,” says Steve Atkins, scholarship committee chair. “We wish her success as she continues her post-secondary and performing arts aspirations.”
Bellmann’s passion for dancing started when she was three-years-old. With 14 years of extensive training at the Okanagan School of Ballet and one year at the Canadian School of Ballet, Bellmann’s dream came true when she was offered a spot in a local Ballet Jörgen performance. She has since performed for Ballet Jörgen in several local productions.
In 2019, Bellmann won a dance competition in Vernon that awarded her a scholarship to go to New York City. There, Bellman trained with world-renowned industry leaders and danced in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade.
And, through the Canadian School of Ballet, Bellmann took the role of Russian Doll and Rat in the 2021 production of The Nutcracker.
The Salmon Arm Folk Music Society partnered with Shuswap Community Foundation to establish the Fine Arts Development Scholarship to reward students dedicated to the arts. The $1,000 scholarship is available to any graduate of School District No. 83 enrolling in a post-secondary, fine arts discipline.
To support the scholarship, click here.
Prior Year’s Recipients:
2021: Christopher Olllinger
- We maintain a financial scholarship award program to recognize and support graduating School District #83 students.
- Each year, we donate Festival tickets and merchandise to an extensive list of charities, community groups, schools, and other not-for-profits to support their fundraising activities.
- We offer support services by way of equipment loans to various not-for-profits and we partner with other local groups such as R.J. Haney House, The Shuswap Trail Alliance, The Children’s Festival, Relay for Life, Shuswap Tourism, and the Salmon Arm Arts Centre on community events.
- During the Festival, we support other non-profit and fundraising groups by offering booths at no charge. The application process for selection is open and democratic.
- We mentor youth through our student documentary program and the volunteer office.
- As part of our mandate to educate with regards to musical diversity, we offer free admission to all children 12 and under.
ROOTSandBLUES encourages and promotes performers from all parts of the world, with a special emphasis on Canadian talent. We aim to educate audiences and showcase the incredibly diverse genres of music, musical instruments, and the artists who play them. We present artistic and cultural events that enrich both the fabric of our community and by extension, the fabric of the world.
Thanks to the support of Creative BC, we’re in the early stages of researching and developing a shared equipment network.
The BC Equipment Network will connect members from our beautiful province with affordable rental equipment. Members will have access to equipment purchased by the Network and items owned and shared by collaborating festival and event partners. The Network’s resources will work with equipment from current production suppliers to elevate the quality of participating events.
Protecting the Planet
The Salmon Arm Folk Music Society is dedicated to reducing the environmental footprint of the annual ROOTSandBLUES Festival. We invest money and resources into implementing green solutions that help to mitigate our environmental impact.
- Reduction in our carbon footprint through establishing grid-based power
- Integration of “pedal power” utility vehicles to reduce our carbon emissions
- Promote the use of and provide safe storage for bicycles while on site
- Promote the use of public transportation
- Source locally grown food for our volunteers and performers
- Composting of all vendor, volunteer, and performer utensils, containers, packaging, and food waste
- Provide compostable beverage containers for use by our patrons and volunteers in all our various beverage and hospitality areas
- Recycling of all materials where possible
- Return of all deposit-based containers
- Reducing single-use water bottles from circulation on our site by banning their sale
- Continue to plant low maintenance green spaces and trees at the Fairgrounds with the Fall Fair Board
- Establishment of underground watering systems, greywater discharge and potable water stations
How You Can Help
The SAFMS is a non-profit society that relies on the support of its generous sponsors, donors, and members to continue producing the annual ROOTSandBLUES Festival. Want to help us help the community? Consider becoming a member today!